When it comes to studying abroad for MBBS, Indian students have a few countries in that list. Philippines is one of the preferred destinations of Indian students for doing MBBS. Similar to studying for MBBS degree in China or other European countries, the Medical Council of India has given approval for many medical colleges and universities in the Philippines. Here is the brief outlook of studying MBBS in the Philippines.
Advantages of Studying MBBS in the Philippines
- The medical universities in the Philippines are approved by the World Health Organization. Besides, they are also approved in the list of IMED and ECFMG medical education directories which provides the student with an internationally recognized medical program. Students are also eligible to appear in the international medical exams, like USMLE.
- About 8000 foreign students are admitted in the Philippines for MBBS every year. The standard of medical education by these medical universities in the Philippines is at par with global standards. Every year, thousands of doctors graduate and move to different countries for higher education and practice and the Philippines is one of them.
- The climate of the Philippines is most favorable for Indian students. As the climate in the Philippines is the same as Indian climate; it is easy for the Indian students to adapt to the environment in the Philippines. MBBS syllabus in Philippine universities covers all aspects that are covered in an MBBS degree offered across the globe.
- The education system followed by universities in Philippines medical universities is not similar to the ones followed by China or other European countries. Philippines MBBS education system is similar to the US education system. Hence eventually, students who study MBBS in the Philippines have an edge over others for greater career opportunities in countries like USA and Canada.
- Since the Philippines is an English speaking country, communications easy. No language of coaching for an unfamiliar language is required for Indian students.
- No donation or capitation fee is required by Philippines universities.
- MCI approved medical colleges and universities in the Philippines that provide internationally acclaimed degree.
- The Philippines has a safe environment and poses no threat to international students.
- Affordable fee and low cost of living make the education for MBBS in the Philippines feasible.
Disadvantages of Studying MBBS in the Philippines
There is only one disadvantage of studying MBBS in the Philippines. Students don’t get enrolled directly in the MBBS program, which is offered as MD in the Philippines. They have to undergo a 1.5 to 2 years BS course and pass a National Entrance Test to get entry into MBBS course.
There is a common misconception regarding the education system, however. Although the country follows the US education system, there is no need to get USMLE qualification to join MBBS.
MBBS in Philippines Eligibility
The minimum marks required to qualify so that a candidate is eligible is 60% aggregate in the Higher Secondary stream with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as major subjects.
Generally, the last date for application to admission for MBBS course in the Philippines closes by the end of June or early July. The process of admission is straightforward. Students are advised to submit the application before the time limit and wait for the approval. Admission is provided on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- Eligibility criteria include passing in 10+2 examination, with a minimum score of 50 % aggregate in the major subjects like Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- Students must provide all certificates to authenticate their qualification while applying for admission, including mark sheets, school leaving certificate, etc.
- Students shall provide proof of paying capacity.
- Medical examination certificate of each candidate must be attached.
- Candidate must be NEET-UG qualified.
MBBS in Philippines Duration
MBBS in the Philippines is offered as BS-MD course, it is not a post-graduate degree. MD in the Philippines is the same as the MBBS course. MBBS in the Philippines is of 6 years and is divided into three parts, BS, MD, and Internship. BS is the prime medical course or foundation course. It has four semesters and is completed in 1.5 to 2 years. After completion, of course, students appear for the NMAT Philippines test.
National Medical Admission Test, conducted by all medical schools, colleges, and universities in the Philippines is the common admission test to MD. It is compulsory to pass to advance to 4 years MD Course. Students can directly join the MD course in the Philippines if they have a Bachelor of Science degree. After completion of BD and MD, students are appointed as interns in local hospitals.
Top MCI Approved Medical Universities in the Philippines
- AMA College of Medicine
- Cagayan State University
- Cebu Doctor’s Medical University
- University of Perpetual Help
- De La Salle Health Sciences Institute
- Pangasinan State University
- Our Lady of Fatima University
- South Western University
MBBS in Philippines Fee Structure
Average tuition fees to study MBBS in the Philippines starts from 11 lakhs. Some top medical colleges and their fee structure are as follows:
- Our Lady of Fatima University – 22 lakhs
- AMA School of Medicine – 14 lakhs
- The University of Perpetual Help – 18 lakhs
- Emilio Aguinaldo College of Medicine – 19 lakhs
Some of the foreign countries that offer MBBS degree to international students introduce a compulsory study of foreign language native to the country as one of the subjects as it is necessary to interact with the students, patients, and people. For instance, in countries like China, Russia, Kyrgyzstan that enrolls Indian Students for MBBS, studying the local language is mandated.
The Philippines is the English speaking country and more than 90% of the population speaks fluently in English. So, there is no necessity for the students to adopt learning a foreign language as part of the academic program. Hence, Indian students do not feel the discomfort in communication, as the locals speak English.
This is one of the major reasons why many Indian students prefer to study MBBS in the Philippines. Aspirants who wish to pursue MBBS degree in the Philippines can inherit quality education which in turn, provides them an opportunity to become a competent professional in the field of medical science.