Area of study or research:
Human Medicine, Health Sciences
Type of grant:
Grant benefit paid:
- monthly scholarship instalment: 1.050 EUR
- Health insurance: OeAD scholarship holders need to have health insurance that is accepted by the Austrian authorities for the duration of their stay in Austria. The OeAD can help with taking out such insurance. The monthly costs can vary, at the moment you should calculate 55 to 200 EUR (depending on your age, scholarship category and state of health). The costs for the insurance have to be covered from the scholarship.
- Accomodation: It is possible for OeAD scholarship holders to book accomodation (dormitory or apartment) with the OeAD Housing Office.The monthly costs are 220 to 470 EUR (depending on the level of comfort requested by the scholarship holder). The scholarship holder has to pay an administrative fee of 18 EUR/month to the OeAD Housing Office for the provision of accommodation. The costs for the accommodation have to be covered from the scholarship.
- Travel Costs: Applicants from countries which are neither members of the EU nor members of EFTA, EEA or OECD can be granted a travel allowance. The lump sum depends on the country of origin.
Closing date for applications:
online at www.scholarships.at
Advice on how to apply:
Eligible for application are
– descendents of forced labourers (regardless of their country of origin)
– or people coming from countries that have suffered exceptionally from the Nazi regime, especially from the recruitment of forced labourers.
Students meeting the above mentioned criteria can apply to pursue research
– on their bachelor thesis
– on their diploma or master thesis
– or their dissertation.
No scholarships are awarded for Bachelor-, Master- or Doctoral/PhD studies pursued in Austria, summer courses, language courses, clinical traineeships or internships.
Applicants must not have studied/pursued research/pursued academic work in Austria in the last six months before taking up the grant.
Doctoral students: 40 years (born on or after September 1, 1978)
for other students: 35 years (born on or after September 1, 1983)
The following documents have to be uploaded for the Online Application on www.scholarships.at:
– fully completed Online Application form “Application for a Scholarship of the Scholarship Foundation of the Republic of Austria” including a CV and a project plan, describing the plans and completed preparatory work for the research stay in Austria
– two letters of recommendation from university lecturers. For these letters of recommendation no specific form is required; they have to contain the letterhead, date and signature of the person recommending the applicant and the stamp of the university / department and must be no older than six months at the time of application. The letters of recommendation and the confirmation of supervision cannot be issued by the same person.
– confirmation of supervision by a supervisor at the chosen Austrian university, university of applied sciences or research institution
– scanned passport (showing the name and picture of the applicant)
– university graduation certificate of your diploma, master, PhD or doctoral studies at a university outside Austria resp. proof of enrollment at a study programme at a university outside Austria
– confirmation, that proves your participation in a study programme (Bachelor, Master/Diploma or PhD) at your home university
– for descendants of forced labourers: processing number or photocopy of the letter of information or other relevant proofs
The selection is made by the Scholarship Council in regard to the following selection criteria:
– Formal check (through the OeAD-GmbH)
– Necessity of the research stay in Austria in regard to the further process of the thesis.
– What are the plans for the research stay in the framework of the scholarship?
– How will the Project be carried out? Which scientific methods will you apply?
– What are the main objectives of your research stay in Austria?
– Which steps have you planned in order to achieve these objectives (research in archives, interviews, . . .)?
– Have you already completed preparatory work to achieve these objectives (if yes, which ones)?
– Where do you plan to carry out your project (library, archive, institute . . .)?
– academic background (since when are you already studying, which grades have you achieved) and list of publications or documents in regard to your artistic work so far.
– plausibility of the Application.
All scholarships are based on competition. This means that even in the case of the fulfilment of all the requirements there is no legal claim to the award of the scholarship.
An award is only possible once per category, a renewal is not possible.
Scholarships are also awarded for research periods at scientific research institutions in Austria (e.g. universities, Austrian Academy of Sciences, National Library, National Archive).
As for article 1 of the Austrian Data Protection Act, BGBl. Nr. 165/1999 in the present version, the applicant is aware of the fact and fully agrees that personal data contained in the application and its enclosures may be forwarded to the authority processing the scholarship, the contracting parties, the Austrian Foreign Ministry and other granting authorities for statistical purposes and in order to ensure that the application can be processed properly.
Applications that are incomplete or do not meet the requirements cannot be taken into consideration.
The scholarship must be repaid in full, if it was obtained under false pretenses, or if any other grant offered on www.grants.at was obtained for the same time period as this scholarship
Short-term grants (1 to 3 months) have a priority in the period from January to June. In other cases problems can arise as regards accommodation. When applying for a short-term grant therefore consideration should be given to applying primarily for the period of January to June.