Institution: National STEM Learning Centre
Start Date: February 19, 2018
National STEM Learning Centre is pleased to announce “Teaching Practical Science: Chemistry”. The course has been designed for science teachers. In this course you will explore how going beyond ‘recipe following’, teachers can use practical work in chemistry to support the explanation of the theory. You may join this course until February 19, 2018.
- Duration: 3 weeks
- Commitment: 3 hours per week
- Subject: Teaching
- Institution: The National STEM Learning Centre
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Session: Starts on February 19, 2018
- Requirement: Access to a laboratory
- Certificate Available: Yes
Who Developed the Course
- About University: STEM Learning is the largest provider of education and careers support in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
- The mission of University: The mission of the Center for the Advancement of STEM Teaching and Learning Excellence (CASTLE) is to employ an interdisciplinary research approach to generate knowledge that will support improved STEM education at all levels.
- The course has been designed as CPD for teachers of science subjects for 14-16-year-olds. Teachers of chemistry, early career teachers, returning teachers, non-specialist teachers, technicians and teaching assistants will gain from the peer learning and resources available on this course.
Where Could This Lead You
- Importance of the Subject in Today’s Scenario: The study of this subject enables you to develop your students’ learning with engaging and effective practical lessons.
- Your Career Option: If you’re wondering your future in this area, you may build your career in the following fields:
- Senior Scientific Officer
- Associate Software Developer
- Robotics Trainer
Get Extra Benefits
Upgrade this course with – $79 and you will gain:
- Unlimited access to this course
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes
- Certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you’re eligible
How to Join This Course
- You should register yourself through the given link of join this free online course:
- You can use the hashtag #FLSTEMPractical to talk about this course on social media.
- Practical work for 14-16-year-olds for the key topics of electrolysis, rates of reaction and salt preparation.
- Contextualising practical work in chemistry to the everyday environment.
- How progression in practical work impacts on students’ learning.
- Assessment of learning through practical work in chemistry.
- Approaches to teaching practical science that can be applied to other topic areas.
At the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Improve your confidence in delivering and evaluating teaching for practical skills in chemistry for 14-16-year-olds.
- Develop effective learning outcomes for practical work in chemistry.
- Reflect on the effectiveness of practical activities on every students’ learning.
- Design progression and assessment approaches within practical work in chemistry.
- Collaborate with peers, educators, and mentors to share and critique ideas for teaching practical science.
Who Will You Learn With
- Mark Langley: He is a Professional Development Leader at the National STEM Learning Centre in York.
You can refer these books:
- Teaching and Learning STEM: A Practical Guide by Rebecca Brent and Richard Felder
- Practical Ideas for Teaching Primary Science by Colin Howard and Vivian Cooke
- Importance of Course: After completing the course you will improve your confidence in delivering and evaluating teaching for practical skills in chemistry for 14-16-year-olds.
- Importance of Certificate: By the Certificate of Achievement you will be able to prove your success when applying for jobs or courses. You can display it on your LinkedIn or CV.
For more information about the course, you may visit the given link: