Institution: University of California, Davis
Start Date: July 23, 2018
The University of California, Davis is inviting applicants for its free online course entitled “Wine Tasting: Sensory Techniques for Wine Analysis”. With its roots in ancient cultures as early as 6,000 BC, the wine has long been part of the human experience
This course will help you take the first steps toward understanding the physiological process of wine tasting. The course will explore types of wine and help you set up your own tasting. You’ll also begin to build a sensory vocabulary. Hurry up! The course is going to start on July 23, 2018.
- Duration: 5 weeks
- Commitment: 2-3 hours/week
- Subject: Personal Development
- Institution: University of California, Davis
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Session: July 23, 2018
- Requirement: None
- Certificate Available: Yes
Who Developed the Course
The University of California, Davis, one of the nation’s top-ranked research universities, is a global leader in agriculture, veterinary medicine, sustainability, environmental and biological sciences, and technology
- This course is primarily for anyone who wants to learn how to properly taste wine or how to pair wine with their food.
- For anyone looking to become a sommelier, serve in a restaurant, or just want be knowledgeable when tasting wine.
Where Could This Lead You
After completing this course, you can apply for jobs in the given fields:
Get Extra Benefits
Get a verified certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you acquire (₹3,956)
- Official and approved-Get a certificate with the logo of the institution and the signature of a professor to show your achievements and increase your professional prospects
- Easy to share-Add the certificate to your résumé or resume, or publish it directly on LinkedIn
- Proven motivational measure-Give yourself an additional stimulus to complete the course
How to Join This Course
You can register yourself here.
- WEEK 1: Wine Styles
In this first module, the course will take the first steps on our journey through the various categories of wines, starting with the flavor profiles of classic New World and Old World wines.
- WEEK 2: Wine Flavor and Aroma
In this module, the journey continues and the course will compare and contrast the flavor profiles of eight classic red varietals and eight classic white varietals. The module will also discuss the growing requirements for each varietal as well as their cultural and historical background and growing locations.
- WEEK 3: Common Wine Faults
Is there something wrong with this wine? This week course will examine the philosophy behind what actually constitutes a fault in the wine. The course will identify the most often-encountered faults and explain how to recognize them as well as determine what caused them.
- WEEK 4: Wine and Food Pairing
Can you drink red wine with fish? This module will discuss the often perplexing question of how to pair wine with food, and the physical, structural, textural, and aromatic aspects of both the “wine side” and the “food side” of the equation.
- WEEK 5: Project: Fully Describe a Wine From an Unusual Region or Varietal
This final module will conclude the journey into wine tasting with a project that will demonstrate your understanding of the physiological process of wine tasting and the sensory techniques required for accurate wine analysis.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
Examine the various faults and defects that can appear in wine as well as techniques for spotting problems.
Who Will You Learn With?
John Buechsenstei: Wine Appreciation Faculty UC Davis Division of Continuing and Professional Education
- Importance of Course: The course will culminate in a peer review project in which you will apply the knowledge and sensory techniques you have developed throughout the course to assess a specific wine.
- Importance of Certificate: By the Certificate of Achievement you will be able to prove your success when applying for jobs or courses. You can display it on your LinkedIn or CV.
For more information about the course, you may visit the Website.Apply Now