Institution: University of Washington
Start Date: At your own pace
Improve your writing skills with this free online course entitled as“Using Email for Networking in English”, offered by the University of Washington. Effective writing is an important business skill, especially for networking, and most communication takes place using email.
In this course, you’ll learn important vocabulary and strategies for writing effective emails, starting with the subject line. You’ll learn how to write messages for different audiences and understand when to be formal or direct. You can join the course at your own pace.
- Duration: 4 weeks
- Commitment: 3 to 5 hours per week
- Subject: Language
- Institution: University of Washington
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Session: At your own pace
- Requirement: Intermediate level of English language proficiency
- Certificate Available: Yes
Who Developed the Course
The University of Washington is one of the preeminent public research universities in the world dedicated to preparing leaders of change, promoters of ideas, and creating a culture of collaboration.
No specific knowledge or education background is assumed for the free online course. Anyone can apply for this course.
Where Could This Lead You
After completing this course, you can apply for jobs in the given fields:
Get Extra Benefits
Get a verified certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you acquire (₹ 6814 INR)
- Official and approved-Get a certificate with the logo of the institution and the signature of a professor to show your achievements and increase your professional prospects
- Easy to share-Add the certificate to your résumé or resume, or publish it directly on LinkedIn
- Proven motivational measure-Give yourself an additional stimulus to complete the course
How to Join This Course
You can register yourself here.
- Week 1: Subject Lines & Openings
This week you’ll learn the parts of an effective subject line and know what common mistakes to avoid. You’ll also know how to use greetings like “Dear” and when to use titles or first names.
- Week 2: Tone: When to be Formal or Direct
This week introduces the idea of the tone. The words you use and the way you say it makes your writing more or less formal and more or less direct. You need to make choices about these things depending on who you are writing to.
- Week 3: Effective Beginnings and Endings
The first and last lines of an email are super important to success. We’ll point out how to write good openings and closings and provide the useful vocabulary for these parts. We’ll also practice the language of making arrangements to meet.
- Week 4: Writing Follow Up Emails
In the final week of the course, you’ll look specifically at the language of following up. This is an important step in making your network bigger. You’ll practice writing your own email and get feedback from your fellow classmates.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Create and use email messages, including greetings, the body of message, format, and closing
- Use appropriate tone and formality in your emails
- Use email to invite a person to your network to meet with you
- Write follow-up emails
Who Will You Learn With?
- Daphne Mackey: Instructor, University of Washington
- Richard Moore: Instructor, University of Washington
- Importance of Course: At the end of the course, you’ll be more confident as you communicate for business, send messages, expand your network, and search for jobs in English.
- Importance of Certificate: By the Certificate of Achievement you will be able to prove your success when applying for jobs or courses. You can display it on your LinkedIn or CV.
For more information about the course, you may visit the Website.Apply Now