Institution: Open University
Start Date: June25, 2018
Enhance your online teaching with strategies through this free online course entitled as “The Online Educator: People and Pedagogy”, Open University. As e-learning becomes ever-more widespread, online educators are being required to design a learning experience
The course explores four myths: that learning design is about technology and content; that innovation and accessibility are incompatible. Studying the course will help you enhance your practice through videos, quizzes, and discussion with peers.
- Duration: 4 weeks
- Commitment: 4 hours
- Subject: Teaching
- Institution: Open University
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Session: June25, 2018
- Requirement: None
- Certificate Available: Yes
Who Developed the Course
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods, and ideas.
This course is suitable for anyone involved in online education or training, including teachers, trainers, course designers, and researchers. While it will help to have a current practice setting to draw on, this is not essential.
Where Could This Lead You
After completing this course, you can apply for jobs in the given fields:
Get Extra Benefits
Get a verified certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you acquire ($74)
- Official and approved-Get a certificate with the logo of the institution and the signature of a professor to show your achievements and increase your professional prospects
- Easy to share-Add the certificate to your résumé or resume, or publish it directly on LinkedIn
- Proven motivational measure-Give yourself an additional stimulus to complete the course
How to Join This Course
- You can register yourself here.
- You can use the hashtag #FLonlineeducator to talk about this course on social media.
Week 1 – Disruption and design
- Current developments in online teaching
- Navigating the hype about disruptive innovation
- The relationship between content, technology, people and pedagogy in learning design
- The challenges of meeting diverse students’ needs
- The use of personas in creating relevant online courses
Week 2 – Innovation and accessibility
- Myths about accessibility and digital innovation
- Types of digital exclusion
- Finding and evaluating accessibility guidelines
- Applying accessibility guidelines to your teaching
Week 3 – Ethical evaluation of online teaching
- Myths about researching and evaluating online teaching
- Evidence and ethics
- Navigating the hype around educational technology innovation
- Evaluating research reports
- Evaluating your own teaching innovations
- Ethical considerations when researching online teaching
Week 4 – Who am I online?
- Myths about online identity
- The value to educators of a carefully constructed online identity
- Evaluating your own online identity
- Using Twitter to build an identity online
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Develop personas to inform the online learning design process
- Identify the ethical considerations involved in researching online teaching
- Apply accessibility guidelines to online teaching contexts
- Identify key accessibility issues related to online learning
- Reflect on your existing digital identity and plan for its future development
- Explore ways of shaping a digital identity as an online educator
- Discuss the relationship between technology, content, people, and pedagogy in online courses.
Who Will You Learn With?
- Leigh-Anne Perryman: Qualification director for The Open University’s Masters in Online and Distance Education
- Martin Weller: Professor of Educational Technology at the OU
- Importance of Course: At the end of the course, you will make your teaching more inclusive, navigate online research ethics and shape your digital identity.
- Importance of Certificate: By the Certificate of Achievement you will be able to prove your success when applying for jobs or courses. You can display it on your LinkedIn or CV.
For more information about the course, you may visit the Website.Apply Now