Institution: Open University
Start Date: March 5, 2018, 13 August 2018
Would you like to study geology? The Open University is delighted to announce a free online course entitled as “The Earth in My Pocket an Introduction to Geology”.In this course, you will explore basic geological processes, focus on how, where and why different rocks and natural resources from across the Earth. This course starts on March 5, 2018, and 13 August 2018.
- Duration:4 weeks
- Commitment:3 hours per week
- Subject: Geology
- Institution: Open University
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Session: Starts on March 5, 2018, 13 August 2018
- Requirement: Anyone with an interest in geology and the natural environment
- Certificate Available: Yes
Who Developed the Course
- About University: Established in 1969, the Open University (OU) is one of the biggest universities in the UK for undergraduate education. It is public distance learning and a research university.With more than 174,000 students enrolled, including around 31% of new undergraduates aged under 25 and more than 7,400 overseas students, it is the largest academic institution in the United Kingdom.
- The Mission of University: The Open University’s mission is to promote educational opportunity and social justice by providing high-quality university education to all who wish to realize their ambitions and fulfill their potential.
- The course is open to anyone with an interest in geology and the natural environment.
- It will be particularly useful for anyone considering an environmental science degree course or teachers who are looking for additional geology and geography resources to use in the classroom.
Where Could This Lead You
- Importance of the Subject in Today’s Scenario: Geology is an interesting field to study because it is a field-based, multi-disciplinary science that integrates the principles of chemistry, physics, biology and mathematics in the study of earth processes and history.
- Your Career Option: After successfully completing the course you can build your career in the following:
- Project Assistant
- Energy Research Analyst
- Geotechnical Engineer
- Junior Research Fellow (JRF)
Get Extra Benefits
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain (Upgrade – $39)
- Unlimited access to this course.
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews, and
- A Statement of Participation when you complete over half the course.
How to Join This Course
- You should register yourself through the given link of join this free online course: https://www.futurelearn.com/register
- You can use the hashtag #FLGeology to talk about this course on social media.
Following topics you will cover in the course:
- Identifying igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks.
- The rock cycle.
- Plate tectonics.
- Sources of metals and some of their uses in everyday life.
- The origins, exploration, and uses of oil.
- Environmental impacts of using the Earth’s resources.
- Some methods of mitigating environmental issues.
At the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Identify different igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks.
- Assess and understand the origin, occurrence, and availability of some natural physical resources associated with metals, oil, and building stones.
- Apply and use numerical and graphical methods to interpret quantities and concentrations of different natural resources.
- Describe and appreciate societal and environmental issues associated with the sustainability of the Earth’s physical resources.
Who Will You Learn With
- Anne Jay- Anne Jay is a lecturer in the School of Environment, Earth and Ecosystem Sciences at the Open University.
You can read these books:
- Principles of Geology by Charles Lyell.
- Popular Geology by Hugh Miller.
- Geology for Dummies by Alecia M. Spooner.
- Earth Science by Edward J. Tarbuck and Frederick K. Lutgens.
- Importance of Course: By the end of this course you’ll be able to identify different igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks. Also, you’ll be able and to discover the link between volcanoes and your mobile phone, or why tiny marine wildlife is at the core of the plastics industry.
- Importance of Certificate: By the Certificate of Achievement you will be able to prove your success when applying for jobs or courses. You can display it on your LinkedIn or CV.
For more information about the course, you may visit the given link: