Institution: Lancaster University
Start Date: Available now
Learn about soils, the variety of life they contain and how humans impact this fragile system, with this free online course named as“Soils: Introducing the World Beneath Our Feet”. The course is provided by the Lancaster University.
You will take a journey through the soil, learning about the basics of soil science and also about life in the soil. You will look at why soil is so important and investigate threats to soil – a topic relevant to the past and present. This course is ongoing.
- Duration: 4 weeks
- Commitment: 3 hours
- Subject: Nature & Environment
- Institution: Lancaster University
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Session: Available now
- Requirement: None
- Certificate Available: Yes
Who Developed the Course
The Lancaster University is a collegiate university, with a global reputation as a center for research, scholarship and teaching with an emphasis on employability.
- This course is aimed at anyone with an interest in soils, biology, geography and environmental science.
- No prior knowledge is required but will be of particular interest to sixth formers and undergraduates studying these subjects.
Where Could This Lead You
After completing this course, you can apply for jobs in the given fields:
Get Extra Benefits
Get a verified certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you acquire ($44)
- Official and approved-Get a certificate with the logo of the institution and the signature of a professor to show your achievements and increase your professional prospects
- Easy to share-Add the certificate to your résumé or resume, or publish it directly on LinkedIn
- Proven motivational measure-Give yourself an additional stimulus to complete the course
How to Join This Course
- You can register yourself here.
- You can use the hashtag #FLsoils to talk about this course on social media.
In this course, you will cover the following topics:
- Basic soil science – what is soil made of
- Soil organisms – why soil microbes are so important
- The rise and fall of civilizations and how they depend on soils
- The impact of climate change on soils
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Develop an understanding of what soil is made of and how it forms
- Describe soil texture including how to test it yourself
- Explore the variety and diversity of life in the soil
- Evaluate the importance of soils throughout history
- Identify threats to soil security
- Assess threats of global environmental change to soils
Who Will You Learn With?
Carly Stevens: Lecturer in Lancaster University Environment Centre
- Importance of Course: You will learn about how and why soils are under threat at a local and global scale.
- Importance of Certificate: By the Certificate of Achievement you will be able to prove your success when applying for jobs or courses. You can display it on your LinkedIn or CV.
For more information about the course, you may visit the Website.Apply Now