Institution: University of Michigan
Start Date: At your own pace
Explore the social worker profession by joining this free online course entitled as “Social Work Practice: Advocating Social Justice and Change” provided by the University of Michigan. This course is part of the Social Work: Practice, Policy, and Research MicroMasters Program.
In this course, you will learn how social workers in the United States engage in creating change and supporting the resilience of individuals, families and communities in this new era. You can join this course at your own pace.
- Duration: 5 weeks
- Commitment: 2 to 3 hours per week
- Subject: Social Sciences
- Institution: University of Michigan
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Session: At your own pace
- Requirement: College-level maturity
- Certificate Available: Yes
Who Developed the Course
The University of Michigan was founded in 1817 as one of the first public universities in the nation. The University, which is based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, has 260 degree programs in 19 schools and colleges offering a tremendous academic breadth and opportunity for discovery.
- Applicants must have college-level maturity.
Where Could This Lead You
After completing this course, you can apply for jobs in the given fields:
- Social Mobilizer
- Project Coordinator
Get Extra Benefits
Get a verified certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you acquire ($ 49 USD)
- Official and approved-Get a certificate with the logo of the institution and the signature of a professor to show your achievements and increase your professional prospects.
- Easy to share-Add the certificate to your résumé or resume, or publish it directly on LinkedIn.
- Proven motivational measure-Give yourself an additional stimulus to complete the course.
How to Join This Course
You can register yourself here.
- Week 1: What is Social Work?
Introduction to social work as a profession and key roles social workers perform across system levels (individual, family, community, organization, policy). Focus on core social values and perspectives.
- Week 2: Cross-Cutting Themes that Guide Social Workers
Introduction to key cross-cutting themes (eg, systems theory, strengths-based approach, empowerment, evidence-informed practices and social justice). Explore these themes through case examples and interactive exercises.
- Week 3: History of Social Work as a Profession in the United States
Examine the history of social work as a profession using an issue oriented approach. Learn unique contributions of social workers over the years.
- Week 4: Addressing Issues of Privilege, Oppression, Diversity and Social Justice
Learn strategies that social workers use to effectively make a difference in addressing privilege, oppression, diversity and social justice in their work. Explore current challenges and advocacy needs through case applications.
- Week 5: Preparing to Practice Social Work – The MSW Learning Process
This week explores topics related to entering an MSW program at the University of Michigan and the tools needed to be successful and maximize learning.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to understand:
- Core values and perspectives of the social work profession
- Key roles social workers perform across system levels
- The role of social work within the society and as part of inter-professional practice
- How to apply integrative themes using a social justice lens across a range of settings
- Strategies social workers use to effectively address issues across systems and levels
- Strategies to advocate for needed changes
Who Will You Learn With?
- Mary Ruffolo- Professor in the School of Social Work at the University of Michigan
- Barbara Hiltz- Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Michigan School of Social Work
- Katie Richards-Schuster- Assistant Professor at the University of Michigan School of Social Work
- Importance of Course: At the end of the course you will able to understand the values, techniques, and themes social workers use to help others as well as strategies for addressing social justice challenges.
- Importance of Certificate: By the Certificate of Achievement you will be able to prove your success when applying for jobs or courses. You can display it on your LinkedIn or CV.
For more information about the course, you may visit the Website.Apply Now