Institution: Harvard University
Start Date: January 8, 2018
The Harvard University is providing you a free online course name as “Religion, Conflict, and Peace”. In this course, we will explore a series of contemporary conflicts in different regions of the world with a special focus on identifying and analyzing the diverse and complex roles that religions play in both promoting and mitigating violence in each context. Students will learn a method for recognizing and analyzing how religious ideologies are embedded in all arenas of human agency and not isolated from political, economic, and cultural life as is often assumed. You will understand:
- What roles do religions play in fostering violence and what roles do they play in promoting peace?
- How do religious institutions and ideologies function to support and/or thwart public health initiatives?
- What are the ideological justifications for functional economic policies and how do they reflect and/or challenge diverse religious values?
- What roles do religions play in advancing or suppressing educational opportunities and for whom?
- Are media representations of the religious dimensions of conflict accurate?
This course will start on January 8, 2018.
- Duration: 8 weeks
- Commitment: 4-8 hours per week
- Subject: Social Sciences
- Institution: Harvard University
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Session: Starts on January 8, 2018
- Requirement: Anyone
- Certificate Available: Yes
Who Developed the Course
- About University: Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. Harvard faculty is engaged with teaching and research to push the boundaries of human knowledge. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study.
- Mission of University: Harvard University (comprising the undergraduate college, the graduate schools, other academic bodies, research centers and affiliated institutions) does not have a formal mission statement. The mission of Harvard College is to educate the citizens and citizen-leaders of society.
No prior programming experience is needed.
Where Could This Lead You
- Importance of the Subject in Today’s Scenario: Sometimes, however, religious people and their faiths are linked to violence and conflict, both between and within religious groups. In recent years, there has been a burgeoning literature on the issue of religion, conflict, and peace.
- Your Career Option: There are lots of interesting career options you can consider after completing the course:
- Market Associate
- Associate – BlackRock Solutions – Funds Modeling
- Programmer Analyst
Get Extra Benefits
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain ($50USD)
- Official and Verified: Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution’s logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
- Easily Shareable: Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
- Proven Motivator: Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
How to Join This Course
You should register yourself through the given link to join this free online course: https://courses.edx.org/register
At the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Tools for how to interpret the roles religions play in contemporary conflicts;
- How religions are internally diverse;
- How religions evolve and change;
- How religions are embedded in all human cultures.
Who Will You Learn With
Diane L. Moore: Diane L. Moore is a Senior Lecturer and the Director of the Religious Literacy Project at the Harvard Divinity School. She is also a Senior Scholar at the Center for the Study of World Religions.
You can refer these books:
- The Oxford Handbook of Religion, Conflict, and Peacebuilding by 0, Omer, Appleby, Little
- New Book Advances Research on Religion, Conflict, and Peace By Renée LaReau
- Importance of Course: After completing the course you will understand the diverse and complex roles that religions play in both promoting and mitigating violence. You will also better understand how religions function in contemporary world affairs.
- Importance of Certificate: By the Certificate of Achievement you will be able to prove your success when applying for jobs or courses. You can display it on your LinkedIn or CV.
For more information about the course, you may visit the given link:Apply Now