Institution: University of Virginia
Start Date: July 18, 2018
The University of Virginia is looking for excellent applicants for its free online course named as “Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century”. It is designed to help participants develop skills to analyze policy proposals and advocate for their preferred options for issues on the public policy agenda ahead
This course introduces class participants to the political significance and societal consequences of challenges facing the U.S. and international policymakers. The course focuses on future policy challenges while examining the broad historical context in which policies are adopted and implemented. The starting date of the course is July 18, 2018.
- Duration: 9 weeks
- Commitment: 1-3 hours/week
- Subject: Social Sciences
- Institution: University of Virginia
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Session: July 18, 2018
- Requirement: None
- Certificate Available: Yes
Who Developed the Course
A premier institution of higher education, The University of Virginia offers outstanding academics, world-class faculty, and an inspiring, supportive environment.
No specific knowledge or education background is assumed for the free online course. Anyone can apply for this course.
Where Could This Lead You
After completing this course, you can apply for jobs in the given fields:
Get Extra Benefits
Get a verified certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you acquire (₹1,944)
- Official and approved-Get a certificate with the logo of the institution and the signature of a professor to show your achievements and increase your professional prospects
- Easy to share-Add the certificate to your résumé or resume, or publish it directly on LinkedIn
- Proven motivational measure-Give yourself an additional stimulus to complete the course
How to Join This Course
You can register yourself here.
- WEEK 1: Course Roadmap
Professor Warburg and his UVa graduate teaching assistants outline the approach of the course and highlight upcoming topics and speakers.
- WEEK 2: Public Policy Challenges in the 21st Century
Professor Warburg outlines global public policy challenges the next generation will face, as classroom participants collaborate in defining the future agenda.
- WEEK 3: The Media and Changing Nature of Politics
Clinton White House Press Secretary Dee Dee Myers explains issue framing, coalition building and how modern media in shapes public policy options.
- WEEK 4: Healthcare Systems and Insurance Markets
Professor Eric Patashnik examines healthcare reforms, weighing costs, benefits and the efficacy of alternative approaches, including ‘Obamacare.’
- WEEK 5: Federalism and the Power of State Governors
Professor Ray Scheppach examines the powerful role state governors play, examining how states serve as ‘laboratories’ for federal policy options in Washington.
- WEEK 6: US-China Relations
Professor Harry Harding details the complex, all-important relationship between the U.S. and China, outlining different scenarios for future competition and cooperation.
- WEEK 7: Congress and Politics
Congressman Gerry Connolly and former House Republican leader Tom Davis offer insights into how Congress meets public policy challenges.
- WEEK 8: War Powers
S. Senator Tim Kaine discusses how American citizens, in an age of drone strikes and asymmetrical warfare, decide to commit the nation to war.
- WEEK 9: Wrapping Up – Positive Change and Closing
Professor Warburg reviews key course themes, analytical skills and the importance of civic engagement with the public policy agenda ahead.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- How issues are advanced by private sector interests, non-governmental organizations,
- How issue framing shapes the outcome of policy campaigns.
Who Will You Learn With?
Professor Gerry Warburg: Professor of Public Policy, Assistant Dean for External Affairs
- Importance of Course: At the end of the course, you will gain an understanding of how policy options are adopted in the real world arena of contemporary politics.
- Importance of Certificate: By the Certificate of Achievement you will be able to prove your success when applying for jobs or courses. You can display it on your LinkedIn or CV.
For more information about the course, you may visit the Website.Apply Now