Institution: Harvard University
Start Date: Self-Paced
The Harvard University is providing a free online course named as “Masterpieces of World Literature: The Ancient World”. Examine how cultures of the ancient world defined themselves through literature and how their vision of literature contributes to our understanding of civilization, culture, and literature today by this short literature course, based on the first half of the Masterpieces of World Literature edX MOOC.The course is Self-Paced.
- Duration: 8 weeks
- Commitment: 3-6 hours per week
- Subject: Literature
- Institution: Harvard University
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Session: Self-Paced
- Requirement: None
Certificate Available: Yes
Who Developed the Course
- About University: Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. Harvard faculty are engaged with teaching and research to push the boundaries of human knowledge. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study.
- The mission of University: Harvard University (comprising the undergraduate college, the graduate schools, other academic bodies, research centers and affiliated institutions) does not have a formal mission statement. The mission of HarvardCollege is to educate the citizens and citizen-leaders for our society.
Anyone can learn this course
Where Could This Lead You
- Importance of the Subject in Today’s Scenario: World literature is sometimes used to refer to the sum total of the world’s national literature, but usually it refers to the circulation of works into the wider world beyond their country of origin.
- Your Career Option: If you’re wondering what your future could look like in this area, here are some potential careers:
- Creative Content Writer
- Research Associate
- Editorial Manager
- Creative Content Writer
Get Extra Benefits
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain ($99)
- Official and Verified: Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution’s logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
- Easily Shareable: Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
- Proven Motivator: Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
How to Join This Course
You should register yourself through the given link of join this free online course: https://courses.edx.org/register
Texts/authors considered in the course:
- The Epic of Gilgamesh
- Homer, The Odyssey
- The 1001 Nights
- The Lusíads
- The Tale of Genji
At the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- The early history of World Literature
- How literary works are transformed by cultural transmission and modern recovery
- How to critically analyze literary works
- The significance of major technological advances in writing
Who Will You Learn With
- David Damrosch: Ernest Bernbaum Professor of Literature at Harvard University
- Martin Puchner: Byron and Anita Wien Professor of Drama and of English and Comparative Literature at Harvard University
You can refer this book:
Masterpieces of World Literature: The Ancient World by – Frank N. Magill
- Importance of Course: At the end of this free online course you will understand the epics, story collections, and novels, which take a keen interest in heroic travelers, would eventually travel themselves, finding new global audiences as the first works of world literature.
- Importance of Certificate: By the Certificate of Achievement you will be able to prove your success when applying for jobs or courses. You can display it on your LinkedIn or CV.
- For more information about the course, you may visit the given link: