Start Date: August 28, 2017
MandarinX offers you a free online course named as Mandarin Chinese: First Steps in Chinese. Learn the basic characteristics of the Mandarin Chinese language to build a solid foundation to become a competent speaker. This course is your first crucial step to learning Mandarin Chinese. Establish a solid foundation of your Chinese journey. This coure will start on August 28, 2017.
- Duration: 5 weeks
- Commitment: 4-10 hours per week
- Subject: Chinese Language
- Institution: MandarinX
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Session: Starts on August 28, 2017
- Certificate Available: Yes
Who Developed the Course
- About University: MandarinX is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing a premier Chinese language learning experience online through partnership with edX – a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) provider founded by Harvard and MIT.
- Mission of University: With globalization comes the need for increased communication. MandarinX strives to help bridge the gap between cultures by facilitating the communication process. An increased demand means a growing number of opportunities for dedicated individuals willing to devote their time to learning this complex language with a rich history and deep cultural roots.
Anyone can learn this course
Where Could This Lead You
- Importance of the Subject in Today’s Scenario: Mandarin is the national language of China and Chineseis the most widely spoken language in the world. More than one billion of the world’s population are Chinese speakers. It is also known as Beijing dialect or “putonghua”, literally common language.
- Your Career Option: If you’re wondering what your future could look like in this area, here are some potential careers:
- Chinese Translator
- Chinese Language Moderator
- Chinese language expert
Get Extra Benefits
You can pursue a verified certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain ($49).
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn. Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution’s logo to verify your achievement and increase your job.
How to Join This Course
You should register yourself through the given link of join this free online course: https://courses.edx.org/register
Week 1: Tones
Learn the most crucial characteristic of Mandarin Chinese–tones. You cannot speak Mandarin without singing, without tones.
Week 2: Pinyin
It is absolutely useful for beginners to learn Pinyin, a transcription consisting of Latin characters.
Week 3: Chinese characters
After learning Pinyin and tones, you may try to ‘draw’ characters stroke by stroke.
Week 4: One Character One Syllable
It is essential to know that one character contains only one syllable. There is no prefix or suffix in Chinese.
Week 5: One basic Chinese structure
Introduction to basic Chinese structure, knowing and practicing basic sentences in everyday scenario
Five essential characteristics of Mandarin Chinese:
- Chinese characters
- One character one syllable
- Basic Chinese structure
Who Will You Learn With
- Estella Y Chen: Estella Chen is a professor at College of Commerce at National Chengchi University. She obtained her Master’s degree from the University of Southern California where her passion for applied linguistics began to take root and received her Mandarin Chinese teaching certification from California Commission on Teaching Credentialing.
You can refer these books:
- Mandarin Chinese By – Elizabeth Scurfield
- Modern Mandarin Chinese grammar by – Claudia Ross
- Importance of Course: By the end of this course, you will be ready to further your knowledge in Chinese and introduce one rule with practices and related dialogues
- Importance of Certificate: By the Certificate of Achievement you will be able to prove your success when applying for jobs or courses. You can display it on your LinkedIn or CV.
For more information about the course, you may visit the given link:Apply Now