Institution: University of Leeds
Start Date: Available now
The University Of Leeds is excited to announce the availability of free online course named as Learning Online: Learning and Collaborating.Online learning is likely to be important for you in the future, either at university or in the workplace.
This course will help you to develop those skills, showing you how to learn and communicate effectively in an online environment.You will become an effective online learner and develop your online communication skills when working with others. The course is ongoing.
- Duration: 2 weeks
- Commitment:2 hours per week
- Subject: Communication
- Institution: The University Of Leeds
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Session: Available now
- Requirement: None
- Certificate Available: Yes
Who Developed the Course
The University of Leeds is a redbrick university located in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England, established in 1831. Originally named the Yorkshire College of Science and later simply the Yorkshire College, it incorporated the Leeds School of Medicine and became part of the federal Victoria
- This course is part of the Going to University collection which has been specifically designed for schools and colleges. The course can be used as a teachers’ classroom enrichment resource or can be studied independently by students.
Where Could This Lead You
If you’re wondering what your future could look like in this area, here are some potential careers:
- Learning and Development Consultant
- Educational Specialist
Get Extra Benefits
Get extra benefits, upgrade this course. For $64 you’ll get:
- Unlimited Access: Upgrading will mean you get unlimited access to the course. If you’re taking a course for free you have access to the course for its duration + 14 days, regardless of when you join. If you upgrade the course you have access for as long as the course exists on FutureLearn
- Take the course at your own pace
- Refer to the material at any point in future
- Access To Tests: When you upgrade you’ll have access to any tests during the course. To receive a Certificate of Achievement you need to take any tests and score over 70%. You don’t get access to tests if you choose to take a course for free.
- Validate your learning
- Ensure you have mastered the material
- Qualify for a Certificate
- A Certificate of Achievement: Upgrading means you’ll receive a Certificate of Achievement when you complete the course. To receive a Certificate of Achievement you need to mark 90% of the steps on the course as complete and score over 70% on any course tests.
- Prove your success when applying for jobs or course
- Celebrate your hard work
- The display on your Linkedin or CV
How to Join This Course
- To join for the course, you may enroll here.
- Use the hashtag#FLlearningOnline to join and contribute to social media conversations about this course
Topics will be cover:
- Learning environments: an introduction to VLEs and MOOCs
- The learning journey and the differences between classroom-based and online learning
- Techniques for learning effectively online
- Using discussions to aid online learning
- Collaborating online: using wikis and other collaborative tools
Students will learn:
- Assess your current level of confidence with learning online.
- Explore the online learning that is available via search engines, video channels, and social media.
- Explore more formal online learning environments such as VLEs and contribute to the discussion regarding your experiences.
- Explore MOOCs, and identify the importance of the learning journey and defining personal learning goals.
- Reflect on the factors which help you to learn effectively online.
- Identify the implications of not using online communications effectively.
- Assess your knowledge of learning by video using short quizzes.
- Explore online profiles and understand how to make the most of learning discussion forums.
- Explore the value of working collaboratively with others online by contributing to online discussions.
- Explore tools such as wikis, pinboards, and reports to collaborate online.
- Assess your post-course confidence with learning online by participating in the test which concludes the course.
Who Will You Learn With
- Neil Morris: Director of Digital Learning and Professor of Educational Technology at the University of Leeds
- Carol Elston: Digital Learning Manager at the University of Leeds.
- Importance of Course: Learning online is different to learning in the classroom as it requires different skills.
- Importance of Certificate:: By the Certificate of Achievement you will be able to prove your success when applying for jobs or courses. You can display it on your LinkedIn or CV.
For more information about the course, you may visit the Website.