Institution: Johns Hopkins University
Start Date: June 18, 2018
The Johns Hopkins University offers a free online course named “Introduction to the Biology of Cancer”.This course is designed for undergraduates, graduates, nurses, physicians, other healthcare professionals, and researches.
The course introduces the molecular biology of cancer (oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes) as well as the biologic hallmarks of cancer. The course also describes the risk factors for the major cancers worldwide, including lung cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, liver cancer, and stomach cancer. This course will start on June 18, 2018
- Duration: 6 weeks
- Commitment:1-4 hours/week
- Subject: Biology
- Institution: Johns Hopkins University
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Session: Start on June 18, 2018
- Requirement: Undergraduate
- Certificate Available: Yes
Who Developed the Course
The Johns Hopkins University is an American private research university in Baltimore, Maryland. Founded in 1876, the university was named after its first benefactor, the American entrepreneur, abolitionist, and philanthropist Johns Hopkins.
This course is designed for undergraduates, graduates, nurses, physicians, other healthcare professionals, and researchers who need a refresher or are considering pursuing research in the field. This course is not intended for patients seeking treatment guidance.
Where Could This Lead You
If you’re wondering your future in this area, you may build your career in the following fields:
- Research Associate (R. A)
- Medical Coding Trainee
Get Extra Benefits
If you pay ₹1,937, for this course,
- You will have to access to all of the features content you need to earn a course certificate.
- If you complete the course successfully, your electronic certificate will be added to your accomplishment page- from there, you can print your certificate or add it to your LinkedIn profile.
- Note that the course certificate does not represent official academic credit from the partner institute offering the course
How to Join This Course
To join for the course, you may enroll here.
- WEEK 1:Incidence and Etiology of Cancer: In this first week, you’ll get a high-level introduction to the basics of cancer biology as well as incidence and common types of cancer.
- WEEK 2: Genetics of Cancer: Now, you’ll turn our attention to the genetics of cancer, variation and mutation, two-hit hypothesis, and genomic instability.
- WEEK 3: Ten Cellular Hallmarks of Cancer: All cancers share ten cellular hallmarks. This week, you’ll learn to identify these hallmarks in order to distinguish a normal cell from a cancerous cell.
- WEEK 4: Metastasis: The Real Killer: The lethal agent of cancer is a metastasis. This week, you’ll take a good look at this deadly event, TNM staging, the metastatic process, and an ecological paradigm.
- WEEK 5: Imaging in Oncology: This week, you’ll examine imaging as a tool for diagnosis, staging, and treatment of cancer.
- WEEK 6:Treatment: In this final week, you’ll examine the variety of treatment options available to doctors and patients as well as the features of clinical trials and how they are used to improve the treatment arsenal.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to: –
- Identify the major types of cancer worldwide.
- Describe how genes contribute to the risk and growth of cancer.
- List and describe the ten cellular hallmarks of cancer.
- Define metastasis, and identify the major steps in the metastatic process.
- Describe the role of imaging in the screening, diagnosis, staging, and treatments of cancer.
- Explain how cancer is treated.
Who Will You Learn With
Kenneth J. Pienta, M.D.: The Donald S. Coffey Professor of Urology, James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute
- Importance of Course: This course gives you a basic understanding of cancer biology and treatment. The course is not designed for patients seeking treatment guidance – but it can help you understand how cancer develops and provides a framework for understanding cancer diagnosis and treatment.
- Importance of Certificate: You can get a verified certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain. You can prove your success when applying for jobs or courses and display on your LinkedIn or CV.
For more information about the course, you may visit the Website.Apply Now