Institution: National Research University Higher School of Economics
Start Date: April 30, 2018
Improve your understanding of Industrial Organization by joining this free online course named as “Industrial Organization: Strategy and Competition in Business” created by the HSE. Applicants must be in their 4th year undergraduate or Master’s level.
The course looks at the markets from three different perspectives: the economic theory, the applied business perspective and the institutional and legal perspective. The starting date, of course, is April 30, 2018.
- Duration: 10 weeks
- Commitment: 4 hours per week
- Subject: Business
- Institution: National Research University Higher School of Economics
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Session: Starts on April 30, 2018
- Requirement: 4th year undergraduate or Master’s level
- Certificate Available: Yes
Who Developed the Course
The National Research University – Higher School of Economics (HSE) is one of the top research universities in Russia. The university specializes in economics, social sciences, mathematics, computer science, media communications, and design.
- Applicants must be in their 4th year undergraduate or Master’s level.
- The course requires an understanding of basic economic modeling, knowledge of intermediate microeconomics (especially production/cost theory), knowledge of basic concepts and methodologies of game theory, intermediate econometrics and basic calculus.
Where Could This Lead You
After completing this course, you can apply for jobs in the given fields:
- Project Coordinator
Get Extra Benefits
If you pay US$ 29 USD for this course,
- You will have access to all of the features and content you need to earn a Course Certificate.
- If you complete the course successfully, your electronic Certificate will be added to your Accomplishments page – from there, you can print your Certificate or add it to your LinkedIn profile.
- Note that the Course Certificate does not represent official academic credit from the partner institution offering the course.
How to Join This Course
You can register yourself here.
- WEEK 1: The firm
The first lecture is devoted to building a microeconomic foundation, which is necessary for understanding the lectures to come.
- WEEK 2: Game theory foundations
In this lecture, you will focus on the principles of strategic interaction. The most important tool to understand strategy is game theory.
- WEEK 3: Static competition
The topic of this lecture is short-run competition. That is, an interaction that lasts only for one period. Static competition is not the most usual form of competition but it is not rare, either.
- WEEK 4: Dynamic competition
The course extends the analysis of competition introducing interactions with time depth. We will use several concepts from the previous lectures but here we have two important qualitative differences.
- WEEK 5: Deterrence and predation
The fifth lecture focuses on games where firms are in different stages of the competition game. In this setting, there exists a monopolistic firm already in the market, while another firm considers entering this market in the future.
- WEEK 6: Price discrimination
The topic for this lecture is pricing. In general in economics, we are used in a paradigm in which firms set only one price for each of their products.
- WEEK 7: Product differentiation
In our previous lectures you have come to the conclusion that when firms compete with price, the Bertrand paradox leads those firms to lose their entire market power. In today’s lecture you will try to resolve this paradox assuming that the firms can differentiate their products.
- WEEK 8: Vertical relations
In this lecture, your analysis extends to more complicated relationships such that of “manufacturer-retailer – customers”.
- WEEK 9: Networks and platforms
Ninth lecture explores a modern and quite useful topic. You will examine the economics of networks and platforms.
- WEEK 10: Intellectual property
In our last lecture, you will get acquainted with the concept of intellectual property and its institutional protection.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Explore interesting topics of a market organization such as negotiations, antitrust
Who Will You Learn With?
- Kosmas Marinakis- Assistant Professor at National Research University – Higher School of Economics
- Importance of Course: At the end of the course you will able to understand the structure of markets and the nature of strategic competition.
- Importance of Certificate: By the Certificate of Achievement you will be able to prove your success when applying for jobs or courses. You can display it on your LinkedIn or CV.
For more information about the course, you may visit the Website.Apply Now