Institution: Harvard University
Start Date: October 26, 2017
The Harvard University is providing you a free online course name as “Humanitarian Response to Conflict and Disaster”. The course explores the ethical and professional principles that guide humanitarian response to conflict and disaster. Participants will learn the legal and historical frameworks that shaped these principles, test their applicability to the challenges faced by humanitarian actors today. You will learn the principles guiding humanitarian response to modern emergencies, and the challenges faced in the field today. This course will start on October 26, 2017.
- Duration: 5 weeks
- Commitment: 3-4 hours per week
- Subject: Medicine & Health
- Institution: Harvard University
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Session: Starts on October 26, 2017
- Requirement: Anyone
- Certificate Available: Yes
Who Developed the Course
- About University: Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. Harvard faculty is engaged with teaching and research to push the boundaries of human knowledge. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study.
- Mission of University: Harvard University (comprising the undergraduate college, the graduate schools, other academic bodies, research centers and affiliated institutions) does not have a formal mission statement. The mission of Harvard College is to educate the citizens and citizen-leaders for our society.
No prior programming experience is needed.
Where Could This Lead You
- Importance of the Subject in Today’s Scenario: Humanitarian aid is material and logistic assistance to people who need help. Humanitarian aid is material or logistical assistance provided for humanitarian purposes, typically in response to humanitarian crises including natural disasters and man-made disaster.
- Your Career Option: After successfully completing the course you can build your career in the following:
- Practice Associate – Urban Risk & Resilience
- Associate – Geospatial Lab
- Release Gate Keeper – ITIL Compliance
Get Extra Benefits
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain ($99)
- Official and Verified: Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution’s logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
- Easily Shareable: Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
- Proven Motivator: Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
How to Join This Course
You should register yourself through the given link of join this free online course: https://courses.edx.org/register
At the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Legal and historical frameworks shaping the professionalization of the humanitarian field
- An applied understanding of the principles guiding humanitarian response and the tensions that arise when operational zing these principles in modern crises
- How to recognize and adapt to major trends affecting the scope and implementation of humanitarian work
Who Will You Learn With
- Jennifer Leaning MD, SMH: Jennifer Leaning teaches courses at Harvard on the humanitarian response to war and disaster, human rights in peace and war, and environment and forced migration in the context of climate change.
- Michael VanRooyen MD, MPH: Michael VanRooyen is the Director of the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative (HHI) at Harvard University and the Chairman of Emergency Medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston.
You can refer these books:
- Chasing Chaos: My Decade in and Out of Humanitarian Aid by Jessica Alexander
- Public Health Humanitarian Responses to Natural Disasters by Emily Ying Yang Chan
- Importance of Course: After completing the course you will cover the responses to crises in Goma (Zaire), Somalia, the Balkans, Afghanistan and Pakistan, participants will engage with Harvard faculty, current practitioners, and one another.Thoughtfully engaging with this course will prepare participants to be informed and aware humanitarian practitioners, scholars, policy-makers, and global citizens.
- Importance of Certificate: By the Certificate of Achievement you will be able to prove your success when applying for jobs or courses. You can display it on your LinkedIn or CV.
- For more information about the course, you may visit the given link: