Institution: University of Pennsylvania
Start Date: At your own pace
If you’re interested in the history of Hollywood, then this free online course entitled as “Hollywood: History, Industry, Art” is for you provided by the University of Pennsylvania. The course will look closely at representative studios and representative filmmakers.
In this course, you will learn about Hollywood and how it came to be the global powerhouse of today. The course will discuss the complex Hollywood industry and how to business and politics translate into the art of film, TV, and new media. You can join this course at your own pace.
- Duration: 4 weeks
- Commitment: 3-4 hours per week
- Subject: Art and culture
- Institution: University of Pennsylvania
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Session: At your own pace
- Requirement: None
- Certificate Available: Yes
Who Developed the Course
The University of Pennsylvania is a private Ivy League research university and it has a strong focus on interdisciplinary learning and research. Penn offers double degree programs, unique majors, and academic flexibility.
- No specific knowledge or education background is assumed for the free online course. Anyone can apply for this course.
Where Could This Lead You
After completing this course, you can apply for jobs in the given fields:
- Project Coordinator
- Conference Producer
- Social Media Manager
Get Extra Benefits
Get a verified certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you acquire ($ 49 USD)
- Official and approved-Get a certificate with the logo of the institution and the signature of a professor to show your achievements and increase your professional prospects.
- Easy to share-Add the certificate to your résumé or resume, or publish it directly on LinkedIn.
- Proven motivational measure-Give yourself an additional stimulus to complete the course.
How to Join This Course
You can register yourself here.
1 The Birth of the Film
2 Edison the Inventor
3 Who, What, Where, Why
4 The Trust and the Independents
5 Piracy, Copyright, and the Ben-Hur Case
The Studio System
- 1 The Birth of the Studio System
- 2 The Star System
- 3 The Genre System
- 4 Meet Me in St. Louis and the Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
- 5 House Style: It All Comes Together
Sound and the Production Code
1 The Challenges of New Technology
2 Sound, Style, and King Kong
3 King Kong
4 The New Deal
5 The Road to the Production Code
6 The Production Code in Action
Hollywood at War
1 FDR and Media
2 Hollywood Gets Political
3 Warners Bros. at War
4 Wartime Government Agencies
0 The Blacklist and Cold War
1 HUAC in Hollywood
2 The Hollywood Ten and the Blacklist
3 Cold War Genres
0 The New Hollywood
2 Hollywood Auteurs and the Counterculture
3 Big Media
0 Home Video and Indiewood
1 Development of Home
0 Digital Cinema and the Internet
1 Special Effects and Computer Generated Images
2 Hollywood’s Internet
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to understand:
- The history of the studio system
- How to analyze a film
- How Hollywood has responded to new technologies in the industry
- The impact of global audiences on Hollywood
- The relationship between Hollywood and independent media
- How Hollywood has reacted to major political events
- What the future holds for Hollywood
Who Will You Learn With?
- Peter Decherney- Peter is Professor of Cinema Studies and English at the University of Pennsylvania
- Importance of Course: At the end of the course you will able to explore the history of Hollywood, from Edison and the birth of film to the rise of the internet.
- Importance of Certificate: By the Certificate of Achievement you will be able to prove your success when applying for jobs or courses. You can display it on your LinkedIn or CV.
For more information about the course, you may visit the Website.Apply Now