Institution: Weizmann Institute of Science
Start Date: Available now
Discover the unusual math of twisted strips of paper with this free online course named as “Flexagons and the Math behind Twisted Paper” created by the Weizmann Institute of Science. This course is aimed at learners who enjoy being creative, solving puzzles and folding paper.
This online course will explain what flexagons are, their history and their naming conventions. You’ll find out how to create your own flexagons and be able to share them with our global community of learners. Applicants can start the course by June 18, 2018
- Duration: 3 weeks
- Commitment: 2 hours per week
- Subject: Mathematics
- Institution: Weizmann Institute of Science
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Session: Available now
- Requirement: None
- Certificate Available: Yes
Who Developed the Course
The Weizmann Institute of Science is one of the world’s leading multidisciplinary basic research institutions in the natural and exact sciences.
- This course is aimed at learners who enjoy being creative, solving puzzles, folding paper and revealing hidden mathematics.
- It will also help mathematics teachers who are looking for material for enrichment programs.
Where Could This Lead You
After completing this course, you can apply for jobs in the given fields:
- Math Teacher
Get Extra Benefits
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain (Upgrade – $59)
- Unlimited access to this course
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes
- Certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you’re eligible
How to Join This Course:
- You can register yourself here.
- You can use the hashtag #FLflexagon to talk about this course on social media.
Following topics you will cover:
- The invention of flexagons
- How to make flexagons
- Cyclic and non-cyclic flexagons
- Advanced flexagons
- The math behind flexagons
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Produce, create and fold Flexagons and Mobius Strips
- Explore flexagons and discover some of their unique properties
- Synthesize your knowledge and discover links between different mathematical tools.
Who Will You Learn With?
- Yossi Elran- Recreational mathematician and metagrobologist and head our institute’s technology in the education unit
- Importance of Course: At the end of the course you will able to explore mathematical fields that provide tools to analyze flexagons, including topology and graph theory and learn about Möbius strips, Tuckermann diagrams and more.
- Importance of Certificate: By the Certificate of Achievement you will be able to prove your success when applying for jobs or courses. You can display it on your LinkedIn or CV.
For more information about the course, you may visit the Website.Apply Now