Institution: Coventry University
Start Date: Available now
Increase your knowledge of English for academic study through this free online course named as “English for Academic Study”, developed by Coventry University. This course aims to help you understand what is expected.
In this course, you will learn key vocabulary in an academic context. You will have the opportunity to review the key vocabulary and concepts used in a university setting. This course is ongoing.
- Duration: 2 weeks
- Commitment: 3 hours
- Subject: Languages & Cultures
- Institution: Coventry University
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Session: Available now
- Requirement: None
- Certificate Available: Yes
Who Developed the Course
The Coventry University secured a gold rating in the UK government’s 2017 Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) and is the country’s top modern university in the Guardian University Guide 2018.
No specific knowledge or education background is assumed for the free online course. Anyone can apply for this course.
Where Could This Lead You
After completing this course, you can apply for jobs in the given fields:
Get Extra Benefits
Get a verified certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you acquire ($74)
- Official and approved-Get a certificate with the logo of the institution and the signature of a professor to show your achievements and increase your professional prospects
- Easy to share-Add the certificate to your résumé or resume, or publish it directly on LinkedIn
- Proven motivational measure-Give yourself an additional stimulus to complete the course
How to Join This Course
- You can register yourself here.
- You can use the hashtag #FLpse to talk about this course on social media.
In this course, you will cover the following topics:
- Key vocabulary and concepts for the UK university context
- Exploring the approach to teaching and learning in UK universities
- Developing dictionary skills
- Analysing word forms and word families
- Accessing and writing definitions
- Introduction to the phonemic chart and how to use it to support learning and pronunciation skills
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Interpret key academic terminology and explore their importance and relevance to successful UK university study.
- Identify key features and conventions of academic culture in the UK, both online and on campus.
- Apply the use of a dictionary to help you extend your academic vocabulary range.
- Record new words effectively
- Identify the form of definitions, and produce your own.
- Produce the phonemic chart to help you pronounce new words.
Who Will You Learn With?
- Gareth Jones: English teacher
- Mary Forbes: English teacher
- Importance of Course: At the end of the course, you will expand your vocabulary for an academic setting, including tools to help you pronounce new words.
- Importance of Certificate: By the Certificate of Achievement you will be able to prove your success when applying for jobs or courses. You can display it on your LinkedIn or CV.
For more information about the course, you may visit the Website.Apply Now