Institution: University of Leiden
Start Date: May 14, 2018
The University of Leiden is excited to announce its free online course named as “Be Persuasive: Write a Convincing Position Paper or Policy Advice (Project-Centered Course)”.The project-based course is designed so that you learn by doing rather than by listening.
In this project-centered course, you will learn everything you need to research and present an effective and persuasive position paper or policy advice. Project-centered courses are designed to help you complete a personally meaningful real-world project, with your instructor and a community of learners with similar goals. Hurry up! The course will start on May 14, 2018.
- Duration: 4 weeks
- Commitment: 2-4 hours of study, 4-5 hours of active project work
- Subject: Social Sciences
- Institution: University of Leiden
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Session: May 14, 2018
- Requirement: None
- Certificate Available: Yes
Who Developed the Course
The Leiden University is one of Europe’s foremost research universities. This prominent position gives our graduates a leading edge in applying for academic posts and for functions outside academia
- The course requires an academic approach, but no previous experience.
- The projects can be completed by both novices and advanced learners.
- One thing is certain. Both groups will learn a lot from the experience.
Where Could This Lead You
After completing this course, you can apply for jobs in the given fields:
Get Extra Benefits
Get a verified certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you acquire (₹1,886)
- Official and approved-Get a certificate with the logo of the institution and the signature of a professor to show your achievements and increase your professional prospects
- Easy to share-Add the certificate to your résumé or resume, or publish it directly on LinkedIn
- Proven motivational measure-Give yourself an additional stimulus to complete the course
How to Join This Course
You can register yourself here.
- WEEK 1: Getting Started
In this module, after a brief introduction, we will start our policy advice by defining the issue and finding sources. Check out our Resource section if you have not yet decided on an issue for your project. Perhaps you would like to use one of our cases and engage in a simulation?
- WEEK 2: Writing the Position Paper
In this module, we will learn how to construct an argument, which will form the backbone of your position paper or policy advice, and think about how to visualize the data supporting the argument. This is the second stage towards your policy advice.
- WEEK 3: Writing the Policy Advice
In this module, you will turn your position paper into a policy advice, but first, we will teach you to apply a SWOT Analysis and Risk Assessment. Do not forget to use the Skills Lab from module 2.
- WEEK 4: Presentation and Reflection
In this module, you will create a presentation to present your policy advice to your target audience, and we will reflect on the course.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Frame a starting position for your own research
- Use search engines to locate materials required for your advice
- Explore ‘academic’ databases
- Annotate your sources correctly
- Target your research for statistical data
- Choose a visualization for your statistical data
- Construct an argument in a logical manner
- Build up the logic in each paragraph
- Conduct a SWOT analysis
- Conduct a Risk Analysis
- Present the materials in a position paper
- Convert the position paper to a policy advice
- Recognise the policy-making hierarchy and shaping the advice accordingly
- Write a powerful and effective PowerPoint presentation
- Place your project in the ‘real world’ context of the policy-cycle
- And … Discover a great, great deal about your chosen topic.
Who Will You Learn With?
Richard Thomas Griffiths: Prof. Dr. Faculty of Humanities
- Importance of Course: When you complete the course, you’ll have a finished project that you’ll be proud to use and share.
- Importance of Certificate: By the Certificate of Achievement you will be able to prove your success when applying for jobs or courses. You can display it on your LinkedIn or CV.
For more information about the course, you may visit the Website.Apply Now