Institution: University of Pennsylvania
Start Date: At your own pace
Learn about the core principles of computer science with this free online course entitled “Algorithm Design and Analysis”, provided by the University of Pennsylvania. This course, part of the Computer Science Essentials for Software Development Professional Certificate program, is an introduction to the design and analysis of algorithms.
In this course, you will learn about algorithms that operate on common data structures, for instance sorting and searching; advanced design and analysis techniques such as dynamic programming and greedy algorithms; advanced graph algorithms such as minimum spanning trees and shortest paths; NP-completeness theory; and approximation algorithms. You may join the course at your own pace.
- Duration: 4 weeks
- Commitment: 6-8 hours per week
- Subject: Computer Science
- Institution: The University of Pennsylvania
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Session: At your own pace
- Requirement: Basic knowledge of Java, probability
- Certificate Available: Yes
Who Developed the Course
The University of Pennsylvania (commonly known as Penn or UPenn) is a private Ivy League research university located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States. Ranked consistently among the top ten universities in the United States, Penn dates its founding to 1740 and is often considered the first university to offer both graduate and undergraduate studies.
- Discrete Mathematics – sets, functions, relations; proofs, and proofs by induction; Boolean logic
- Basic probability
- Basic knowledge of Java
Where Could This Lead You
If you’re wondering what your future could look like in this area, here are some potential careers you could head towards Algorithm Design and Analysis. Mention some career points
- RTLDesign and Verification Engineer
- Site Reliability Engineer (Software)
- RTLDesign and Verification Engineer
- iOS Developer
Get Extra Benefits
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain (₹ 10232 INR)
- Official and Verified-Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution’s logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
- Easily Shareable-Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
- Proven Motivator-Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
How to Join This Course
You should register yourself here.
- Week 1: Mathematical Preliminaries; Asymptotic analysis and recurrence relations; Sorting and Searching; Heaps and Binary Search Trees
- Week 2: Algorithm Design Paradigms – Divide-and-Conquer Algorithms, Dynamic Programming, Greedy Algorithms
- Week 3: Graphs and graph traversals; minimum spanning trees; shortest paths
- Week 4: Flows; NP-completeness; Approximation Algorithms
- How to represent data in ways that allow you to access it efficiently in the ways you need to
- How to analyze the efficiency of algorithms
- How to bootstrap solutions on small inputs into algorithmic solutions on bigger inputs
- Solutions to several classic optimization problems
- How to critically analyze whether a locally optimal approach (greedy) can provide a globally optimal solution to a problem
Who Will You Learn With
- Sampath Kannan– Henry Salvatori Professor and Department Chair, Computer and Information ScienceUniversity of Pennsylvania
- Importance of Course: After completing this course you will be able to design efficient and correct algorithms using sophisticated data structures for complex computational tasks.
- Importance of Certificate: By the Certificate of Achievement you will be able to prove your success when applying for jobs or courses. You can display it on your LinkedIn or CV.
For more information about the course, you may visit the Website.Apply Now