Institution: University of Birmingham
Start Date: Available now
The University of Birmingham is offering a free online course name as “Metabolomics: Understanding Metabolism in the 21st Century”.The course is primarily aimed at final year undergraduate science students and research scientists who are interested in learning about the application of metabolomics to understand metabolism.
In this course, you will discover metabolomics is revolutionizing the understanding of metabolism with this free online course. The course provides an introduction to metabolomics, describes the tools and techniques to study the metabolome. This course is ongoing.
- Duration: 4 weeks
- Commitment: 3 hours per week
- Subject: Biology & Life Sciences
- Institution: The University of Birmingham
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Session: Available now
- Requirement: None
- Certificate Available: Yes
Who Developed the Course
The University of Birmingham has been challenging and developing great minds for more than a century. The University continues this tradition today and has ambitions for a future that will embed its work and recognition of the Birmingham name on the international stage.
- The course is primarily aimed at final year undergraduate science students and research scientists who are interested in learning about the application of metabolomics to understand metabolism.
- It is not essential to have any previous knowledge of the subject area but a reasonable knowledge and understanding of science would be beneficial.
Where Could This Lead You
If you’re wondering what your future could look like in this area, here are some potential careers:
- Molecular Physiology and Nutrition
- Research Associate I
- Postdoctoral Vacancies – Molecular Physiology and Nutrition
Get Extra Benefits
Get extra benefits, upgrade this course. For $79 you’ll get:
- Unlimited Access: Upgrading will mean you get unlimited access to the course. If you’re taking a course for free you have access to the course for its duration + 14 days, regardless of when you join. If you upgrade the course you have access for as long as the course exists on FutureLearn.
- Take the course at your own pace
- Refer to the material at any point in future
- Access to tests: When you upgrade you’ll have access to any tests during the course. To receive a Certificate of Achievement you need to take any tests and score over 70%. You don’t get access to tests if you choose to take a course for free.
- Validate your learning
- Ensure you have mastered the material
- Qualify for a certificate
- A Certificate of Achievement: Upgrading means you’ll receive a Certificate of Achievement when you complete the course. To receive a Certificate of Achievement you need to mark 90% of the steps on the course as complete and score over 70% on any course tests.
- Prove your success when applying for jobs or courses
- Celebrate your hard work
- The display on your Linkedin or CV
How to Join This Course
- To join for the course, you may enroll here.
- You can use the hashtag #FLmetabolomics to talk about this course on social media
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the biological relevance of metabolites (the small molecular weight intermediates and products of metabolism) and the metabolome
- Assess the challenges involved in studying the metabolome
- Develop an awareness of the analytical techniques and data analysis tools that are applied to study the metabolome
- Evaluate how the interaction of scientists from different disciplines has driven the development of this field
Who Will You Learn With
- Mark Viant: Professor of Metabolomics in the School of Biosciences, University of Birmingham, UK.
- Warwick Dunn: University lecturer.
- Catherine Winder (Educator): Operations manager for the Phenome Centre Birmingham and Birmingham Metabolomics Training Centre at the University of Birmingham.
- Ralf Weber (Educator): Computer scientist (or bioinformatician) at the University of Birmingham (UK)
- Importance of Course: By the end of the course, you will understand the metabolomics can revolutionize the understanding of metabolism. Learners will develop an awareness of the analytical techniques and data analysis tools that are applied to study the metabolome.
- Importance of Certificate: By the Certificate of Achievement you will be able to prove your success when applying for jobs or courses. You can display it on your LinkedIn or CV.
For more information about the course, you may visit the Website.