Nowadays, the rising cost of study has become a stone in higher education. But with the scholarship, it can be your cup of tea. The Australian Government is providing a wonderful opportunity to apply for Australia Awards Scholarships.
The scholarships are available for developing countries students to pursue full-time undergraduate or postgraduate course work with participating in Australian universities and Technical and Further Education (TAFE) institutions.
Australian Awards are offered by the Government of Australia administrated by the Department of Trade and Customs and the Department of External Affairs. The aim of the award is to contribute to the long term development needs of other developing countries.
In order to be eligible, the applicant must meet the following conditions:
- Applicant must be a minimum of 18 years of age on 1 February of the year of commencing the scholarship.
- Applicant must be a citizen of a participating country as listed on the Australia Awards website and be residing in and applying for the scholarship from their country of citizenship;
- Candidate must not be a citizen of Australia, hold permanent residency in Australia or be applying for a visa to live in Australia permanently.
- The applicant also must not be married to, engaged to, or a de facto of a person who holds, or is eligible to hold, Australian or New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency, at any time during the application, selection or mobilization phases
- Note: Residents of Cook Islands, Niue and Tokelau with New Zealand citizenship are eligible but must apply for a Student visa [subclass 500]
- Applicant must not be current serving military personnel
- The applicant must not have previously received a long-term Australia award, unless they have been out of Australia for a double period of total time, as long as they were in Australia, whether the program is government-established citizenship of the region or the applicant’s country.
- Applicant must be able to fulfil the admission requirements of the institution at which the award is to be undertaken
- In order to have a student visa, the applicant must be able to meet all the requirements of the Home Department. This may mean that the Program Area will need to withdraw an award offer if the recipient cannot satisfy the visa requirements;
- Applicants for study at the academic level should not apply for a scholarship, having already achieved less.
- Applicants must inform the Program Area of any connection or relationship to staff employed at Program Areas or with managing contractors so that the application may be properly and transparently managed.
All students from developing counties are eligible to participate in the scholarship.
Asia: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Laos, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Timor-Leste, and Vietnam
Pacific: Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Republic of Palau, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna
Africa: Australia Awards Africa eligibility criteria, Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, and Zambia
Middle East: Palestinian Territories
Also Read: Why Study in Australia?
Fields of Study
These opportunities are open at participating Australian universities and Technical and Further Education (TAFE) institutions to pursue following degree programs:
- Undergraduate degree programs
- Postgraduate degree programs
The awards are not available for training in study fields related to flying aircraft, nuclear technology or military training.
Benefits of the Program
- The scholarship covers full tuition fees.
- Return air travel is a payment of a single return, economy class airfare to and from Australia, via the most direct route
- Establishment allowance is available only once as a contribution towards housing expenses, textbooks, study material.
- Contribution to living expenses (CLE) – It is a fortnightly contribution to necessary living expenses paid at the rate fixed by the department.
- Introductory Academic Program (IAP) is an important program prior to the commencement of formal academic studies covering information on living and studying in Australia.
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) provided to cover the necessary medical costs of scholars (except for pre-existing conditions) to the award holder only.
- Pre-course English (PCE) fees may be available to students for training in the country or Australia if deemed necessary.
- Supplementary academic support may be available to ensure the academic success of a scholar or to enhance their educational experience
- Fieldwork (for research awards by masters and postgraduates who have a research component where fieldwork is compulsory) is available within Australia or through the most direct route for qualified students.
English Language Requirement
All applicants should be prepared to undertake study in English (which for most, will not be their mother tongue), live in a foreign country (Australia) with a culture which may be very different to the awardees expectations, and under stringent academic conditions.
- IELTS certification not less than a 2-year-old stating minimum achievement of band 6.5
- Achievement record of minimum 580 in TOEFL written one
- Not less than 92 achievement record in TOEFL online exam
- To be considered, the applicants must read all the details of the application procedure.
- Applicants are needed to get register online through Online Australia Scholarships Information System (OASIS).
- The registrations must be done carefully because once the application got submitted, it cannot be changed.
- The applicants are strongly recommended for applying online before the closing date.
- Applicants who are unable to submit their application online can apply by mail through [email protected]
The aspirants must have the following documents.
- Statement of purpose and objectives
- Official test scores
- Three letters of reference
- Resume/curriculum vitae,
- Transcripts or mark sheets
Application Deadline: The deadline varies, according to the country.