The Australian government announced yesterday that the government will increase regional migration and more visas will be granted in its points-based immigration system (PBS) .
In a bid to boost local business, Australia is planning to increase the number of visas for skilled workers who are willing to migrate to the country’s regional areas.
Also, there is enormous pressure on major cities in Australia like Melbourne and Sydney, where populations growth is extraordinary. Some areas are growing at the double the rate of national population growth.
Recently Australia has been cutting total immigration intake in comparison to other countries like Canada, where applications from skilled foreign workers are increasing through its Express Entry Program.
Australia’s regional migration initiative seems to be on similar of Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) of Canada which allow Canadian provinces and territories to nominate individuals who wish to immigrate to Canada and who are interested in settling in a particular region.
Australia Skilled Immigration Program
After Canada, Australia is the most popular destination for skilled foreign workers. Every year number of places open through General Skilled Migration (Skillselect) program. Under the Skillselect program skilled worker candidates can get a permanent visa (PR) by using their education qualifications, job experience and language ability to meet the Australian immigration requirements.
Basic Requirements To Apply
- Age – Under 50 years
- English language – Ability of English to work in Australia. You’ll need the IELTS test score.
- Qualifications – This is the most important. You must have your experiences and educational qualifications assessed by the assessing officials.
- Nominated occupation – To apply, you must have a skill which is useful for Australia. You must nominate a skilled occupation, which fits your skills and qualifications. Your nominated occupation must be found on the Skilled Occupations List.
- Skills assessment – Before you make an application, you must have your skills assessed by the Australian assessing authority assigned to evaluate your chosen occupation.
- Health evaluation – You must be fit to enter Australia. Therefore you must take a medical examination.
- Character evaluation – You must not have a criminal record to work in Australia. You’ll need certification from local police.